11.14.2007

Preaching To The Choir.

For those of you who were curious, Husband of A.K. did very well knitting his first garter-stitch swatch. I decided not to teach him the long tail cast-on so as not to scare him away too quickly. I set him up on some Size 11s and Husband-like yarn from my stash and got him going with the knit stitch, back and forth, back and forth. He made all the same mistakes we all made when we first learned: the accidental YOs, accidentally knitting the stitch beneath the one on the needle, accidentally slipping a stitch or two or four... but once he got back on track, he created a very nice, very even, and very tight little swatch. I don't know if he'll stick with it, but I love him like crazy for trying it out.

At the encouragement of the very talented Kathleen of Kathleen Taylor's Dakota Dreams, I've started pursuing media credentials to get onto the floor of the PA Farm Show's Sheep-To-Shawl contest to make it a live-blogging event. I'm at the very beginning stages of this venture, but I'll keep you posted on my progress. BTW, for those of you who are planning to attend, the contest will be held on Wednesday, January 9th, at 3:00 pm. Whether I get to live-blog this thing or not, I'll definitely be there, so grab a milkshake and an order of fried veggies and come find me!

I'm starting to really dig the concept of concurrent UFOs - I guess you could say that I'm a convert. With Baby A.K.'s teacher's baby blanket tucked away in my office desk drawer, I'm filled with a strange sense of inner peace just knowing it's there waiting for me whenever I have a spare moment or lunch break. I love the fact that at some point during my work day, I'll knit a few more rows, then go home and work on something completely different (at the moment, it's another pair of socks for Baby A.K.). As if I didn't look forward to my daily knitting fix as it is, I get a little more excited about it when I've got a few projects to knit on, round-robin style. Yeah, I know what you're thinking: "DUH!!!!!" But what can I say - I may be late to the party, but at least I'm there now. Pass me a Corona... don't forget the lime.

1 comment:

Deb S. said...

It is great to hear that Mr. A.K. gave knitting a whirl. You'll have to let us know if he sticks with it.

And good luck with the Farm Show deal. I'm just down the road so I may be able to swing by after work to check things out.

I may have to give some thought about continuing with hand piecing. I could leave that at work and do some piecing after eating lunch and before going back to the grind. Hhmmm, food for thought ...

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

I am Knitting Daily