8.24.2007

The DPN And The Damage Done.

After escaping from my office today after a long week, I went to our local Barnes & Noble to waste some time before meeting my wonderful friend Stacy for dinner. I sauntered into the cafe, plopped down at a table, and with great flair began working on my husband's sock. I was KIPping (Knitting In Public), and KIPping as obviously as I could muster, as if to announce to all 5 of the other cafe patrons, "Yeah, that's right. I'm a Knitter, and I'm proud!"

As I worked on picking up stitches, I happened to look up to find a little girl, about 8 years old or so, watching me intently. She didn't shy away when our eyes met - she looked directly at me and gave me a smile. I smiled right back, then continued my work. How cool, I thought. She was watching me! She was interested in what I was doing! Did she know that I was knitting as opposed to crochet? Was she thinking of coming over to ask me what I was doing? Did she herself know how to knit and was giving me silent validation? Was she thinking about pointing out how cool I was to her mom when she returned with their beverages?

By the time I came back into my head, all of the sock's live stitches were divided between not 3, but 2 DPNs. And it wasn't immediately obvious what had happened to the other 2 needles (floor? No. Knitting bag? No. Behind each ear? Ummmm... yep. Sigh.). Making matters stranger, there were double the number of stitches than there should've been on those 2 DPNs. Which totaled a very scary 160 stitches. If you've ever knit socks before, you know how very, very wrong that is. If you've never knit socks before, it'll take you approximately 10 seconds to visualize what 160 stitches on 2 DPNs looks like, and realize how very, very wrong that is.

Lesson learned:

ego + showing off + daydreaming about one's own cool factor + lack of caffeine-laden beverage = sock insanity.

I don't know what I was thinking. Should've ordered a latte first.

No comments:

Knitting Bloggers
Previous | Next

I am Knitting Daily